- Player: Edward_Tohr.
- Name: Edward Tohr.
- Species or Race: Magically-enhanced human.
- Gender: Male (usually).
- Age: Difficult to determine due to magical enhancement. Claims he was only born about twenty years ago.
- Height: 5'10
- Weight: 170-ish
- Hair color: Black.
- Eye color: Hazel.
- Occupation: Freelance mage.
- Alignment: True Neutral.
- Characteristic quote: "I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear."
Strengths: Powerful lightning magic, absorbs electricity, ninja-like acrobatics and speed, can use "bullet-time" in dire situations.
Weaknesses: Anti-magic effects rob him of all benefits. Lightly armed/armored. Use of powers drains life force.
- Special Powers and Skills: Ability to control electricity, and use a great variety of magical effects.
- Weaponry: Twin daggers, with a micro-vibration function not unlike that of Hyp3rB14d3's Fifth Trigger. Has also been seen to carry a katana and wakizashi. Also carries a Callisto NTG.
- Equipment: A black, magical cape, given to him by Euphrosyne.
- Likes: Computers, technology, video games, spicy food, sparring, well-shielded, very conductive wires, blue mushrooms, and Chartreuse.
- Dislikes: Game Overs, killing, anti-magic fields, bad trips, and strong electrical resistors.
The description should be placed outside the template tag.
There are stories told of those who obtain great power, at the cost of something very dear, and live haunted lives because of it. Those stories are not about Ed. Born with the gift of magic, he lived a normal life, completely unaware of his powers. Upon discovering his powers, Ed, being a huge computer nerd, found that manipulating electricity was second nature to him. When it came time for his peers to leave for college, Ed found himself moving into a magical training center, where he learned basic control over the other elements. It was then that he realized that, although he was mentally to channel massive amounts of electricity, his body was damaged by it. Although his powers were magical in nature, he was still channeling large amounts of electricity through his body, causing muscle spasms and nerve damage. In light of this, the directors of the training center infused Ed's very body with magic, by literally breaking every bond that held his constituent particles together, and replacing them with magic. The procedure was a success which, understandably, left Ed very weak for several days, although it not only allowed him to continue to use his powers, but also bestowed other gifts upon him, including the ability to absorb magic, as well as a large number of other skills and a reduced rate of aging. Unfortunately, this process caused Ed's powers to drain his life force, as opposed to just using ambient electricity, allowing him to use far more powerful blasts, but at the cost of his life force. Once he was able to return to class after the procedure, he was accosted by another student, and it was then that he discovered how powerful his magic could be, sending him to the infirmary with one blast. The attack did not kill him, though, much to Ed's relief. Shortly thereafter, Ed discovered that, although his powers drain life force, there is a safety built-in, in that, when his life force is low, his powers will cut off, leaving him exhausted.
The Story So Far:
After leaving his school, he wandered the lands as a freelance mage, until he came across a deserted Board stronghold. Jacking into the computer system, he discovered a level of technology unlike anything he had ever seen before. The initial shock of entering strange technology, though, has left him without much of his sanity... which has undoubtedly been an asset with his interactions with the other Boardies.
Of course, he is slightly less reluctant to use his power in certain circumstances, given that, once he got used to the Board systems, he rigged himself into RESPAWN.
He is now, through a long and bizarre (or funky and horrible, depending on your viewpoint) sequence of events, the proud father (and mother) of a young daughter named Chartreuse. More info can be found here.
Another thing to note is the wedding ring. Coated on the inside with poison ivy and superglue, it becomes red-hot when electrically energized, effectively preventing Ed from using his powers.
Ed is normally a friendly person, always trying to make people laugh, even if he is the butt of the joke. In situations where seriousness is required, though, he can usually be less silly, although he would try to crack a joke whenever appropriate. He is also very much a computer and video game nerd, and has been seen to make Dungeons and Dragons references. Other talents include humming entire soundtracks to video games, and quoting movies, specifically Monty Python and the Holy Grail word-for-word.
Of course, said carefree nature goes completely out the window when someone that he cares about, especially Chartreuse, is threatened. Despite this aspect of his personality only being shown after his marriage to Roadkiller, it has always been present. His mantra for people who attempt to harm those that he loves is "I'd kill you, but corpses can't feel pain."
If the situation calls for it, Ed is willing to sacrifice himself for his friends, although he is more reluctant to do so now because of his daughter.
Upon finding himself in combat, the first thing Ed does is determine whether or not fleeing is feasible. If not, his next goal is to ascertain whether or not his target is affected by his powers. If so, he proceeds to use them. If not, then he attempts to use his improved reflexes and agility to his advantage and fight at close range with his daggers, occasionally fighting unarmed if necessary.
When heavily wounded or very angry, he will use one of his finishing moves rather than flee.
Notes About his Powers:
The full scope of his powers has not yet been revealed. Nevertheless, he has been seen to shoot streams of lightning of various strengths, create shockwaves of electricity, electrify existing weapons, create weapons, fly, turn himself into electricity and arc across a short distance or travel along wires (What he calls "Jumping"), absorb electricity (magical and mundane), perform acrobatic maneuvers that appear too difficult for someone of his build, and scan the minds of others. It is almost certain that he is capable of far more than this, however. One thing to note is that most, if not all, of Ed's powers require him to be at one end of a bolt of lightning. Therefore, in the interests of protecting his hearing, the noise of the lightning he generates is magically muffled, but not eliminated.
Specific details of each of his revealed powers follows:
- "Force Lightning": Ed extends one or both of his hands, and a stream of lightning erupts from them, towards a designated target. This is Ed's most basic attack, yet also his most commonly used one. Simple yet reliable, this attack delivers a shock of variable strength, which does not diminish with distance. Its main weakness is that Ed is mostly unable to change the path of the attack, thus rendering it nearly useless against foes behind lightning rods. Nevertheless, it has one of the best life-force to electrical-energy ratios of Ed's attacks, thus making it effective in almost any situation. It, along with Ball Lightning, were the two attacks Ed possessed before his augmentation.
- "Ball Lightning": Ed shoots a ball of lightning at an opponent. Like the Force Lightning, range is not a problem with the strength of this attack, and it is more easily maneuvered around lightning rods and the like. Unfortunately, the life-force to electrical-energy ratio is not very efficient, and the power of the attack is less variable. Despite these flaws, though, it is a useful attack, and Ed uses it frequently. Along with Force Lightning, this was one of the two attacks that Ed could use pre-augmentation.
- "Shockwave": Ed sends out arcs of electricity in a circle around him, with a radius of about a meter. Unlike most of his attacks, its power falls off with distance. This attack is not very powerful, and consumes a lot of energy, but does have some uses.
- "Brainshock": This technique allows Ed to read, and potentially, modify the mind of an opponent. Using low-energy streams of electricity, Ed can read the electrical impulses within the neurons of his target. This technique requires Ed be very close to his target, with physical contact being preferable. Also, an unwilling target can easily move beyond the range, unless restrained or unconscious or similar. Regardless, this spell can be very useful in the proper circumstances, and does not use up much energy.
- "Electrify": By utilizing his ambient electromagical field, Ed is able to electrically energize any conductive material that he is in contact with. Since this ability uses his ambient energy, it does not require much energy to maintain, and requires very little to start. Because the electricity is magical, it is unaffected by the electrical resistance of the weapon, to an extent. A useful ability in certain circumstances.
- "Thunder Blade": Following the principles of the above power, but to a much larger extent, Ed can use electric energy to create a solid-feeling weapon. Although it does require a larger expenditure of power, it can be used without a pre-existing object. Since the weapon is pure electrical energy, its size and shape are nearly infinitely variable, while remaining nearly weightless. Unfortunately, it does require a constant drain of power to maintain, the amount of which increases with the size of the weapon.
- "Levitation": By electromagnetically modifying the magnetic field around him, Ed can hover, and even fly. It requires a steady drain of energy, and doesn't allow Ed to move as quickly as Jumping, but is useful in many circumstances.
- "Ninja Moves": Because he can electricly stimulate his own muscles, Ed is capable of acrobatic maneuvers that would seem impossible for someone of his build. Although this does not take any magical energy, he is unable to use it unless his powers are active, although much training with it has allowed him to perform some simple ones naturally.
- "Absorbtion": Due to the link between his life force and electrical energy, Ed is able to absorb electricity, both natural and magical. Normal electricity acts as a stimulant, while magical has various effects, depending on many circumstances. As a result of this ability, Ed is far more effective when fighting in a lightning storm or near high-tension lines, and would be nearly unstoppable near, say, a reactor core in a nuclear power plant. Because this effect is magical in nature, it fails to activate when Ed is unable to use his powers.
- "Bullet-Time": By electrically stimulating certain portions of his brain, Ed is able to slow down his perception of time, and speed up his reflexes accordingly. Although Ed can modify the extent to which time seems to slow, he usually keeps it to a point where bullets seem to lazily float towards their targets. This ability requires a lot of energy, but it is useful in practically any situation.
- "Splitter": Much like how an electric signal can be split, so can Ed when in electrical form. By Jumping into a wire conntected to a splitter, or a frayed bundle of cords, Ed is able to split himself into a number of copies. While this technique technically doesn't consume any energy on its own, the more times that Ed splits himself, the less energy each clone will have. Ed usually carries around a frayed cord, simply for the purpose of this ability.
- "Jumping": By converting himself into a stream of electricity and arcing, Ed is able to effectively teleport. This is unquestionably Ed's most commonly used technique, and, as such, consumes very little energy. For distances up to a meter, Ed is able to, effectively, use this technique for free. As the distance increases beyond that, though, the energy use increases exponentially. Despite the name, Ed does not need a surface to push against to perform this technique, and can do so in any direction, even while in mid-air. If the destination of this technique is a conductive material, Ed can choose to remain in electric form, and inhabit said material. This allows him to travel along wires, and even into computer systems and the Internet. Since Jumping happens almost immediately, it is an effective way for Ed to maneuver around, or away from, opponents.
In desperate situations, he is able to unleash very powerful attacks, with the unfortunate side effect of leaving him nearly without energy afterwards. Furthermore, due to his glitches with RESPAWN, his new body suffers from far more lethargy than normal. Explanations of specific ones will follow:
- "Indignation": Named after the ultimate lightning spell from the "Tales of..." series of video games. This creates a nearly constant rain of lightning in an approximately two-meter radius around him. It also taxes his energy to a very large extent, leaving him just shy of death. The intense drain of energy with this limits its strategic usefulness.
- "Final Revenge": Unlike the other finishing attacks Ed can perform, this one requires that Ed be fatally stabbed by a weapon that will conduct electricity back to the wielder. When activated, Ed simply channels all of his remaining energy through the weapon and back to the wielder, with a very efficient life-energy to electrical-energy ratio. He also does not suffer as much lethargy after going through RESPAWN after using this power.
Magic and Physics:
Due to the electrical nature of his attacks, they are usually subject to standard electrical shielding methods. Strong insulators can block them, and conductors can be used to absorb them... to an extent. Most of his powers, however, are able to bypass the electrical resistance of air, with the exception of (so far), the shockwave, the mind-scan, and Jumping. (The latter of which he can do up to a distance of one meter, with a minimal loss of energy, but after that, the energy use increases exponentially. The maximum range of one Jump is ten meters, but, by Jumping a meter at a time, he can cross thousands of miles... note that this restriction doesn't apply when traveling through wires, as those were specifically made to move electrical energy.) Also, his more powerful attacks tend to not follow the laws of physics.
So far, the effects of his cape include being waterproof. The rest are unknown, other than (in his opinion, anyway) making him look cool.
He has a collection of nicknames, including Sh-Ed, or Eduarda, when Ed is transformed into a woman, Wast-Ed when he is drunk, and even Dr. Pentelope (pronounced like "antelope") Deathrow.
Despite his exclusive use of lightning magic, he is able to use the other elements. However, he cannot wield them very effectively at all without more training.
As a result of his being jury-rigged into RESPAWN, he experiences a few idiosyncrasies upon using the system, most notably is that, when he RESPAWNS, he usually has a "souvenir" of his previous death, e.g. a scar, or other disfigurement. He keeps a list of these, but doesn't like to show it off.