- Player: Edward_Tohr
- Name: Edward Tohr.
- Species or Race: Magically-enhanced human.
- Gender: Male (usually).
- Age: Effectively ageless due to magical enhancement. Claims he was only born about twenty years ago. Actual age is believed to be 25, approximately.
- Height: 5'10 (1.7 meters)
- Weight: 170-ish (78.5 kilograms)
- Hair color: Black.
- Eye color: Hazel.
- Occupation: Board operative. Plans to join M-Div at some point.
- Alignment: Neutral Good.
- Characteristic quote: "I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear."
- Strengths: Powerful lightning magic, absorbs electricity, ninja-like acrobatics and speed, can augment his reflexes and speed to superhuman levels, cannot die of old age.
- Weaknesses: Anti-magic effects rob him of all benefits. Lightly armed/armored. Use of powers drains life force.
- Special Powers and Skills: Ability to control electricity, and use a great variety of magical effects.
- Weaponry: Twin daggers, with a micro-vibration function not unlike that of Hyp3rB14d3's Fifth Trigger. Has also been seen to carry a katana and wakizashi. Also carries a Callisto NTG.
- Equipment: A black, magical cape, given to him by Euphrosyne.
- Likes: Computers, technology, video games, spicy food, sparring, well-shielded, very conductive wires, and Chartreuse.
- Dislikes: Game Overs, killing, anti-magic fields, bad trips, and strong electrical resistors.
There are stories told of those who obtain great power, at the cost of something very dear, and live haunted lives because of it. Those stories are not about Ed. Born with the gift of magic, he lived a normal life, completely unaware of his powers. Upon discovering his powers, Ed, being a huge computer nerd, found that manipulating electricity was second nature to him. When it came time for his peers to leave for college, Ed found himself moving into a magical training center, where he learned basic control over the other elements. It was then that he realized that, although he was mentally to channel massive amounts of electricity, his body was damaged by it.
Although his powers were magical in nature, he was still channeling large amounts of electricity through his body, causing muscle spasms and nerve damage. In light of this, the directors of the training center infused Ed's very body with magic, by literally breaking every bond that held his constituent particles together, and replacing them with magic. The procedure was a success which, understandably, left Ed very weak for several days, although it not only allowed him to continue to use his powers, but also bestowed other gifts upon him, including the ability to absorb magic, as well as a large number of other skills and a reduced rate of aging. Unfortunately, this process caused Ed's powers to drain his life force, as opposed to just using ambient electricity, allowing him to use far more powerful blasts, but at the cost of his life force.
Once he was able to return to class after the procedure, he was accosted by another student, and it was then that he discovered how powerful his magic could be, sending him to the infirmary with one blast. The attack did not kill him, though, much to Ed's relief. Shortly thereafter, Ed discovered that, although his powers drain life force, there is a safety built-in, in that, when his life force is low, his powers will cut off, leaving him exhausted. The very same day, he learned about the origin of Elementalists as recipients of the powers of the elemental spirits, as well as his own agelessness. Later, he began training with Master Fletcher, another Lightning Elementalist. The training sessions lasted the remainder of his time at the Academy.
After finishing his final class with Master Fletcher, the very same student whom Ed had defeated four years previous challenged him to a rematch. The duel between the two mages was spectacular, with Ed only claiming victory as a result of his Elementalist abilities. He then fled the Academy, running from the law, eventually finding his way into the fabled Elemental Cave, home of the elemental spirits. After navigating through the treacherous magical obstacles, he found himself with one challenge left -- to defeat the spirits in combat.
After a lengthy battle with the first five spirits -- Earth, Air, Ice, Water, and Fire -- Ed learned that his long-held beliefs about the elements were wrong, as the sixth spirit told him that Light and Darkness were not, in fact, opposing elements, but rather opposing aspects of Lumination. Defeating that spirit, his final foe was the spirit of Lightning. However, Ed was unable to so much as scratch this adversary, who revealed that the concept of "worth" didn't apply solely to his abilities in battle, and blessed Ed with greater power.
As he made his way outside, Ed was shocked to discover the President of his magical academy waiting for him, weapon in hand. He revealed that he had been pursuing Ed not to bring him to justice, but rather to recruit him into his army and lead an assault against the non-magical humans. At Ed's refusal, the two fought, revealing that the President had also received the power of the spirits, and was one of, if not the first, mage to do so. Owing to his superior magical abilities, the President easily defeated Ed, leaving him paralyzed and bleeding on the ground.
But the young Elementalist was far from dead. While unconscious, his body absorbed ambient magical energy from the cave, and slowly healed the damage. Eventually he awoke, and headed to a nearby town, where he met his old friend Jacob Stones. After the startling revelation that tension between the mages and normal humans were rising, an Earth mage, Smith, came across Ed and Jake. Recognizing the former as a wanted criminal, the two began fighting, and Ed quickly knocked out Smith. At this point, Ed learned that he had been unconscious for two years, recovering. As Jake prepared to apprehend Ed, a rock suddenly struck the lightning Elementalist in the back of the head, rendering him unconscious once again.
After awakening, he was brought to a homeless shelter, and his wounds were examined. After determining that they had been caused, and partially healed, by magic, the doctor sedated Ed and brought him to a research laboratory, planning to study his powers. After recovering from the tranquilizers, Ed managed to escape, but discovered that he had amnesia, and was unable to remember much of the past four years. From the fragments of memories that remained, though, he pulled out his most useful and commonly-used ability: Jumping.
After his escape, he was pursued. During the subsequent showdown with his would-be captors, Ed suffered a mental breakdown at the thought of killing them, only snapping out of it when his self-preservation instinct kicked in. Leaving his opponents weaponless, without a vehicle, and unconscious outside of town, Ed continued fleeing, towards an uncertain destination.
After a brief stint of wandering, he realized that there was a more efficient way he could travel-- in electrical form along wires. Putting this ability to use, he wound up in an unknown suburb, where he soon found a wire connected to the internet.
As his consciousness materialized on the great network, he realized that, despite being electrical in nature, he didn't understand binary data. This changed when, upon following a data packet, he found himself being downloaded. After running through the computer's processor, he found himself able to understand the data stored on the hard drive. Glancing through, he found the data for the TCP/IP protocol, and was suddenly able to understand the information coming from the internet.
Uploading himself back onto the web, he was shocked to discover how much things had changed. Rather than random electrical signals, he was instead accosted by physical representations of the data. However, Ed soon grew accustomed to life online, and nearly forgot completely about the physical world. That, however, changed upon stumbling across a message, making plans for a sacrifice.
Deciding to leave the Internet for the first time in two years, Ed followed the message to the intended recipient, and discovered that the plot was neither a joke or a hoax. Two Satanists were intending on sacrificing an innocent victim for power. While performing reconnaissance on one of the Satanists, Ed discovered he carried a cursed necklace which filled anyone who got too close to it with a powerful bloodlust. Managing to resist the effects, Ed successfully rendered both of the Satanists unconscious before they had a chance to harm their victim.
This caught the attention of a Board operative sent to investigate the situation, who then invited Ed to join in their war against evil.
The Story So Far:
Because of his reluctance to join an organization he knew nothing about, he offered his services as a mercenary, rather than joining as an official member. In order to facilitate his duties for the Board, he was given access to RESPAWN and other Board equipment... but only after a lengthy meeting with Scary Paperwork, three full ball-point pens, two quills, five jars of ink, an entire case of toner, and a blood sample.
His first training session showed him just what kind of organization the Board was, as, within a minute of entering, he was bombarded by mangoes. That also led to his first encounter with RESPAWN. Later on, he met the cyborg Bankan, and learned that, if he relied too much on his powers, he would be in trouble in situations where they were unusable. After his subsequent death, he began to carry firearms.
The next training session, however, was restricted to medieval armaments. It was there that Ed fought another mage, Iris in a magical duel, allowing Ed to adapt his abilities to the Board's... unique reality.
It was at this point that Ed was kidnapped by Tamarron-aliens, and implanted with a modified, female clone of himself. Named Chartreuse, the baby soon became a focal point for discussion and speculation (not to mention Spec) among the Boardies. During the baby shower, Roadkiller, an agent from another organization called CLASSIFIED, forced Ed to drink a mysterious potion, transforming him into a female. The ceremony concluded with Ed naming Stardrake and Euphrosyne Chartreuse's godparents.
His third training session was immediately afterwards. After meeting, fighting, and eventually defeating Hyp3rB14d3, Ed was mortally wounded by HK, and took that opportunity to leave the simulation, so as to raise his daughter.
At some point after this, Roadkiller forced Ed to agree to marry him, just to freak out Roadkiller's arch-nemesis, Voice. Ed, who only agreed because of threats against his daughter, spent the next several months dreading the upcoming wedding. Needless to say, when the Board's signature bar, Moxz0rz's, was opened, Ed immediately went, intending to drink his worries away. Unfortunately, his groom-to-be was also there, and, once again, offered Ed a mysterious drink. Ed, too dejected to care, downed it, only to find that it wasn't another genderbending potion as he had expected, but rather a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. After he stumbled around drunkenly for a few minutes, his half-fae friend Keaira used her healing magic to remove most of the alcohol from Ed's system.
After recovering and heading home, he received an invitation to a paintball match. Deciding that it would be a good place to practice using firearms, he joined. This served to distract him from the horrible prospect of his wedding, looming ever closer.
Finally the day arrived. Voice, now Keaira's boyfriend, officiated the travesty of a ceremony, prompted by cards printed from the internet, and then modified, by Roadkiller. His Best Man was [CLASSIFIED]'s Captain, and Ed's Maid of Honor was none other than Keaira herself. Stardrake's Copper Dragonling served as the ringbearer, and Chartreuse had the dubious honor of giving the bride away. As the transgendered Ed waited with growing dread for the ceremony's conclusion, he was startled when, of all people, Euphrosyne interrupted the wedding and bestowed upon Ed his/her first kiss. His/her shock and bewilderment was soon replaced by horror when Roadkiller kissed the bride. The horror of the moment Ed had been dreading for months was too much to bear, and he responded by forming an alternate personality, Eduarda. As per Board tradition, a food fight ensued via a magical cake, baked by Moxie, with random, bizarre effects upon those struck by pieces of it.
One unfortunate consequence of the wedding was Ed's ring. Not only coated on the inside with poison ivy and superglue, it also became red-hot when energized with electricity, effectively sealing the majority of Ed's powers.
Later, another training mission taking place in a zombie-infested city gave Ed the firearms and teamwork training he had been seeking when he entered the paintball game. Teaming up with Adan, the two of them fought their way into an abandoned police station where Ed, desperate to be able to use his powers again, cut off his own finger in an attempt to remove the ring. However, before he could do much more, the site was obliterated from orbit, ending the simulation.
Shortly after, a FLEET commodore, "Bob... just Bob" returned to the Funky Horror, and started another training session to test the power levels of the new Boardies. Ed discovered then that, due to a glitch in his RESPAWN template, he would sometimes be reincarnated in female form. After being approached by Stardrake about getting the ring removed, she realized that Roadkiller was present in this simulation and set off to fight him, but didn't manage to find him before the end.
At this point, the Oldbies decided that the new members were ready to attempt to take back the lost Board city of Mohaborad. After the initial briefing, Ed decided that getting used to fighting without RESPAWN would be helpful, so he started a training mission of his own. While there, he discovered that, in addition to randomly being regenerated by RESPAWN as female, any transformation could have the potential side-effect of switching his gender. He also practiced with his powers more, and found that the time he spent unable to use them allowed him to use far more magic before becoming exhausted.
After the end of that simulation, he, alongside Tamarron and NinjaNick opened up the chain of Nailburger King restaurants. The popularity has yet to spread.
Also, during a conversation with Stardrake, Ed realized that light is just a part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Preliminary testing is showing positive results, although whether or not the RCA is the cause of this new ability is uncertain.
Ed is normally a friendly person, always trying to make people laugh, even if he is the butt of the joke. In situations where seriousness is required, though, he can usually be less silly, although he would try to crack a joke whenever appropriate. He is also very much a computer and video game nerd, and has been seen to make Dungeons and Dragons references. Other talents include humming entire soundtracks to video games, and quoting movies, specifically Monty Python and the Holy Grail word-for-word.
Of course, said carefree nature goes completely out the window when someone that he cares about, especially Chartreuse, is threatened. His mantra for people who attempt to harm those that he loves is "I'd kill you, but corpses can't feel pain." And with his abilities to not only cause as much pain as his target is capable of feeling, but also make them explode, he can make good on nearly any threat he makes.
If the situation calls for it, Ed is willing to sacrifice himself for his friends, although he is more reluctant to do so now because of his daughter. Of course, if his sacrifice is necessary to save her, he'll do it without a second thought.
Upon finding himself in combat, the first thing Ed does is determine whether or not fleeing is feasible. If not, his next goal is to ascertain whether or not his target is affected by his powers. If so, he proceeds to use them. If not, then he attempts to use his improved reflexes and agility to his advantage and fight at close range with his daggers, occasionally fighting unarmed if necessary. He has some slight martial arts training, but most of his skills are self-taught, and therefore a trained foe can easily overcome them.
When heavily wounded or very angry, he will use one of his finishing moves rather than flee.
If his foe does not have access to any sort of RESPAWN-like device or magic, Ed will attempt to just knock them out instead of killing them. This does not apply if Chartreuse is threatened or in danger of any kind.
Notes About his Powers:
The full scope of his powers has not yet been revealed. Nevertheless, he has been seen to shoot streams of lightning of various strengths, create shockwaves of electricity, electrify existing weapons, create weapons, fly, turn himself into electricity and arc across a short distance or travel along wires (What he calls "Jumping"), absorb electricity (magical and mundane), perform acrobatic maneuvers that appear too difficult for someone of his build, and scan the minds of others. It is almost certain that he is capable of far more than this, however. One thing to note is that most, if not all, of Ed's powers require him to be at one end of a bolt of lightning. Therefore, in the interests of protecting his hearing and vision, the noise of the lightning he generates is magically muffled, and the bolt's intensity is reduced, but not eliminated.
Specific details of each of his revealed powers follows:
- "Force Lightning": Ed extends one or both of his hands, and a stream of lightning erupts from them, towards a designated target. This is Ed's most basic attack, yet also his most commonly used one. Simple yet reliable, this attack delivers a shock of variable strength, which does not diminish with distance. Its main weakness is that Ed is mostly unable to change the path of the attack, thus rendering it nearly useless against foes behind lightning rods. Nevertheless, it has a very good life-force to electrical-energy ratio, thus making it effective in almost any situation.
- "Lightning Bolt": Very similar to the above technique, but rather than a constant stream of electricity it is a single, focused burst. More efficient than the above technique, it doesn't have as high of a level of energy output, but is still useful in a very wide variety of situations. It, along with Ball Lightning, were the two attacks Ed possessed before his augmentation.
- "Ball Lightning": Ed shoots a ball of lightning at an opponent. Like the Force Lightning, range is not a problem with the strength of this attack, and it is more easily maneuvered around lightning rods and the like. Unfortunately, the life-force to electrical-energy ratio is not very efficient, and the power of the attack is less variable. Despite these flaws, though, it is a useful attack, and Ed uses it frequently. Along with Lightning Bolt, this was one of the two attacks that Ed could use pre-augmentation.
- "Shockwave": Ed sends out arcs of electricity in a circle around him, with a radius of about a meter. Unlike most of his attacks, its power falls off with distance. This attack is not very powerful, and consumes a lot of energy, but does have some uses.
- "Brainshock": This technique allows Ed to read, and potentially, modify the mind of an opponent. Using low-energy streams of electricity, Ed can read the electrical impulses within the neurons of his target. This technique requires Ed be very close to his target, with physical contact being preferable. Also, an unwilling target can easily move beyond the range, unless restrained or unconscious or similar. Regardless, this spell can be very useful in the proper circumstances, and does not use up much energy.
- "Electrify": By utilizing his ambient electromagical field, Ed is able to electrically energize any conductive material that he is in contact with. Since this ability uses his ambient energy, it does not require much energy to maintain, and requires very little to start. Because the electricity is magical, it is unaffected by the electrical resistance of the weapon, to an extent. A useful ability in certain circumstances.
- "Electrocute": A more powerful variant of the above, Ed simply makes physical contact with his target and floods them with electrical energy. Similar in execution to the Forbidden Techniques described below, but with less-impressive results. However, it is an efficient attack, and, unlike the Forbidden Techniques, does not require much concentration.
- "Thunder Blade": Following the principles of the above power, but to a much larger extent, Ed can use electric energy to create a solid-feeling weapon. Although it does require a larger expenditure of power, it can be used without a pre-existing object. Since the weapon is pure electrical energy, its size and shape are nearly infinitely variable, while remaining nearly weightless. Unfortunately, it does require a constant drain of power to maintain, the amount of which increases with the size of the weapon.
- "Levitation": By electromagnetically modifying the magnetic field around him, Ed can hover, and even fly. It requires a steady drain of energy, and doesn't allow Ed to move as quickly as Jumping, but is useful in many circumstances.
- "Ninja Moves": Because he can electricly stimulate his own muscles, Ed is capable of acrobatic maneuvers that would seem impossible for someone of his build. Although this does not take any magical energy, he is unable to use it unless his powers are active, although much training with it has allowed him to perform some simple ones naturally.
- "Absorbtion": Due to the link between his life force and electrical energy, as well as the bonds between his constituent particles being magical, Ed is able to absorb electricity, both natural and magical. Normal electricity acts as a stimulant, while magical has various effects, depending on many circumstances. As a result of this ability, Ed is far more effective when fighting in a lightning storm or near high-tension lines, and would be nearly unstoppable near, say, a reactor core in a nuclear power plant. Because this effect is magical in nature, it fails to activate when Ed is unable to use his powers.
- "Bullet-Time": By electrically stimulating certain portions of his brain, Ed is able to slow down his perception of time, and speed up his reflexes accordingly. Furthermore, by electrically manipulating his muscles directly, he is able to move at a similarly-increased rate. Although Ed can modify the extent to which time seems to slow, he usually keeps it to a point where bullets seem to lazily float towards their targets. This ability is useful in practically any situation, but he rarely uses it to its full extent, unless necessary.
- "Splitter": Much like how an electric signal can be split, so can Ed when in electrical form. By Jumping into a wire conntected to a splitter, or a frayed bundle of cords, Ed is able to split himself into a number of copies. While this technique technically doesn't consume any energy on its own, the more times that Ed splits himself, the less energy each clone will have. Ed usually carries around a frayed cord, simply for the purpose of this ability.
- "Jumping": By converting himself into a stream of electricity and arcing, Ed is able to effectively teleport. This is unquestionably Ed's most commonly used technique, and, as such, consumes very little energy. For distances up to a meter, Ed is able to, effectively, use this technique for free. As the distance increases beyond that, though, the energy use increases exponentially. Despite the name, Ed does not need a surface to push against to perform this technique, and can do so in any direction, even while in mid-air. If the destination of this technique is a conductive material, Ed can choose to remain in electric form, and inhabit said material. This allows him to travel along wires, and even into computer systems and the Internet. Since Jumping happens almost immediately, it is an effective way for Ed to maneuver around, or away from, opponents.
In desperate situations, he is able to unleash very powerful attacks, with the unfortunate side effect of leaving him nearly without energy afterwards. Furthermore, due to his glitches with RESPAWN, his new body suffers from far more lethargy than normal. Explanations of specific ones will follow:
- "Indignation": Named after the ultimate lightning spell from the "Tales of..." series of video games. This creates a nearly constant rain of lightning in an approximately two-meter radius around him. It also taxes his energy to a very large extent, leaving him just shy of death. The intense drain of energy with this limits its strategic usefulness.
- "Final Revenge": Unlike the other finishing attacks Ed can perform, this one requires that Ed be fatally stabbed by a weapon that will conduct electricity back to the wielder. When activated, Ed simply channels all of his remaining energy through the weapon and back to the wielder, with a very efficient life-energy to electrical-energy ratio. He also does not suffer as much lethargy after going through RESPAWN after using this power.
- "Forbidden Techniques": At the end of his training period, Ed learned three techniques whose use is illegal, according to the laws of his homeland. As such, Ed will only use them when there is no alternative, although the results do make up for the infrequent use. Another restriction on these is that, due to the immense control required, Ed must not only be physically touching his opponent, but be able to concentrate on what he's doing.
- Control: By electrically manipulating the brain of his opponent, Ed is able to force them to do whatever he wants, willingly or not.
- Torture: By electrically stimulating his foe's pain receptors, Ed forces them to endure as much pain as they are capable of feeling.
- Kill: Once again using electrical stimulation, Ed simply stops his opponent's heart or other vital organ, leaving them to die. A more spectacular version of this technique involves channeling electricity into every cell, then increasing the energy, causing them to explode.
Magic and Physics:
Due to the electrical nature of his attacks, they are usually subject to standard electrical shielding methods. Strong insulators can block them, and conductors can be used to absorb them... to an extent. Most of his powers, however, are able to bypass the electrical resistance of air, with the exception of (so far), the shockwave, the mind-scan, and Jumping. (The latter of which he can do up to a distance of one meter, with a minimal loss of energy, but after that, the energy use increases exponentially. The maximum range of one Jump is ten meters, but, by Jumping a meter at a time, he can cross thousands of miles... note that this restriction doesn't apply when traveling through wires, as those were specifically made to move electrical energy.) Also, his more powerful attacks tend to not follow the laws of physics.
So far, the effects of his cape include being waterproof and slight resistance to magic. The rest, if any, are unknown, other than (in his opinion, anyway) making him look cool.
He has a collection of nicknames, including Sh-Ed, or Eduarda, when Ed is transformed into a woman, Wast-Ed when he is drunk, and even Dr. Pentelope (pronounced like "antelope") Deathrow.
Despite his exclusive use of lightning magic, he is able to use the other elements. However, he cannot wield them very effectively at all without more training, nor is he able to use them without drawing runes.
Somehow, Ed has managed to glitch his RESPAWN template. As a result, he experiences some idiosyncrasies upon using the system, most notably that, upon RESPAWNing, he usually has some sort of scar from his previous deaths. He keeps a list of these, but doesn't like to show it off. Also, the system apparently has to randomly decide whether to recreate Ed or Eduarda, a source of annoyance for the lightning mage.